There are many stages in the natural development of the child that the parents celebrate: the baby's first tooth, the first words and the first steps are all moments immortalized in the albums of families everywhere.
On the other hand, there are tests along this evolutionary path. You will not find any greeting card to celebrate the moment when your child finally learns to ask for pot. This task is among the most glamorous. The teacher at the pot but it is necessary. Here are the 5 steps of this process!
1. Finding the right time
There are several clues that can show you that it is time to start training on using the pot:
• You have booked holiday tickets and the children's club in the hotel accepts only the children trained to use the toilet;
• A brother or a sister appeared and you must save your diapers;
• Your child has grown a lot and you can not find any more diapers.
Once you have decided that it is time for your baby to drop the diaper, make sure the baby is ready to start training. Otherwise, you will not be successful in this educational endeavor. Signs of maturity include a regular schedule, active interest in the toilet and removing the diaper independently.
• If the change of the baby's diaper does not take place after a regular program, it may not yet be able to recognize "the need to go to pot." Wait until your child shows signs of needing at regular intervals. That way, your toddler can learn to anticipate your needs and you will let go of the washing machine less often.
• If your child has evolved from throwing toys into the toilet bowl to wanting to sit on it, it may be time to unscrew it.
• If he can pull off his pants in the middle of a Target type game, to run around the shelves with toys, then he can remove his pants and when he needs to potty.
2. The battle plan
Your approach cannot be accidental, it must be planned. As a sportsman preparing for the Olympics, you need first of all mental training. Get in the game. Set your performance benchmarks and expectations. Attention, do not raise the stack too high, you risk having unpleasant surprises. At the same time, do not bend your ear to the words of the neighbor with the perfect manicure, which tells you that her Ana suddenly woke up one day and went straight to potty. Most likely, your neighbor told you a lying lie.
Prepare yourself psychically for many accidents and philosophical conversations with the child in public toilets. Younger children will have a harder time catching the potty. If your expectations are low, you should not be disappointed when you tend to refer your child to others.
It also requires physical training. Hurry up to purchase all the necessary training items: a padded toilet collar, for small children, a potty at night, an agenda for scoring conversations and a diagram of rewards, as a positive reinforcement tool.
3. Formal introductions
If your child gives all the signs that he is ready to give up his diaper, and you have already prepared your reward chart, it is only to get acquainted with the pot. The "first meeting" is very important. If the child remains with a positive impression, then his relationship with the pot will be successful.
Here are some ways you can familiarize your child with potty:
• Take the baby with you when you have to go to the bathroom.
• Put a new pot, as a decoration object, in the child's room.
• Read her stories about going to the toilet.
But be careful: do not force the note. If your child refuses to use the pot, do not force it. It is a clear sign that he is not yet ready to give up his diaper.
4. The enthusiasm from the beginning is succeeded by the resistance to permanent changes
At first, the routine of using the pot or toilet will seem interesting, because it is something new. Your praises will encourage your child to ask for it potty. He will enjoy every time you stick a star on the reward chart. After a while, however, the child's enthusiasm will begin to cool. As he understands that everything is serious and that the world has expectations from him, he has a moment of regression. He begins to crave for the comfort of his diaper.
Well, the real work for the parents is just beginning now. Setting low expectations is essential for your "survival." Your child may have many recurrences at this stage. Small "accidents" can happen for a variety of reasons: the little one was distracted by a game, needs your attention, or simply didn't anticipate having to go to the bathroom or use potty. Here are some tips for successfully going through this period:
• Buy baby underwear as simple as possible, which you can wash and dry quickly.
• Adjust her waist pants. Once he has given up the bulky diaper, he may need a smaller size on his pants. Most models are provided with elastic and buttons, to be adjusted on the waist of the child.
• Perseverance is essential. Continue to make them gallery, even at a hundred attempts to use the pot. Don't deny him the request to go to the bathroom, even if you think that his needs are not being met.
• Be open to the idea of adaptation. It does not require a strategy that the child does not receive. Does your method of belief with the reward chart not work? Find out what keeps him motivated and include this in the scheme. Does your child have a favorite color? Try to buy her underwear in your favorite shade.
5. Your new reality
Apart from the obvious advantages - money saved on diapers, your nose exempt from the smell of the seats, there are also great benefits for the child. Once trained to use the toilet alone, the child acquires self-control skills, gains an increased level of independence and self-esteem and becomes more aware of society.
Despite the less enjoyable process of switching from diapers to potty and, later, in the toilet, the pros of using the pot far outweigh the counter arguments.
Tags Baby potty Learning to potty How to teach baby potty